Monday 26 January 2015

Poisoning

It started after something
looking back it is difficult to see
how it went unseen, but
it wore a dull coloured coat
that helped it to blend into the everyday
and be unacknowledged for so long.

The cracks in the things
that were one began
as I said, after something,
obliterated by what followed;
the coming asunder of things
made sacred by promise.

It appeared simply;
walking down separate
aisles in the grocery store,
and the shopping cart 
arriving between us
at the checkout, as if it knew.

Lunch and supper-times,
once joint meanderings
became a
rushed relay,
the handover growing
always shorter.

Then like breakfast
that stopped altogether.
At the other end bedtimes began
to include silences and chores.
Small ones at first, a few dishes, 
or cushions that needed patting.

All I know is that it stopped
and by the time it did
I was unable to speak about it
we moved into that
bottomless place
between monogamy and leaving.

Now I name it no-nogamy;
commitment to something
that is no more.
only a crushing,
between desire and shame
until something else, happens.

2 comments:

  1. This is by far one of my favorites mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I too like this piece, more honest than a lot of what I write I think, a painful time but at at a minimum I got a story out of it.

      Delete